Elisa Yao, M.D.
Dr. Elisa Yao is board-certified in both Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation and Integrative Holistic Medicine. A graduate of U.C. Berkeley and U.C. Davis Medical School, Dr. Yao completed her internship at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center and residency training at U.C. Davis Medical Center where she was chief resident. Dr. Yao’s experience includes being responsible for caring for patients on an inpatient rehabilitation unit as well as having additional training in acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine. She completed training in Zhu’s scalp acupuncture from world-renown physician Dr. Ming Qing Zhu in 2012 and has been advocating it to promote healing and recovery. Dr. Yao has received several honors including the Mercy Touch Recognition Award for exceptional compassionate care, the William M. Fowler Resident Research Award, and the Outstanding Resident Teaching Award. She is passionate about determining root causes of health problems and applying treatments accordingly.
Dr. Yao’s specialty includes:
- Holistic Pain Management: Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Headaches, Low Back Pain, Neck pain, Tendinopathy
- Pain-associated Issues: Weight loss, Anxiety, Fatigue, Insomnia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Wellness / Anti-Aging Consultation
Rather than focusing on illness or specific parts of the body, Dr. Yao uses a holistic approach to health which considers the whole person and how he or she interacts with his or her environment. It emphasizes the connection of mind, body, and spirit. With Holistic Medicine people also accept responsibility for their own level of well-being, and everyday choices are used to take charge of one’s own health.
Dr. Yao’s Education and Additional training:
- Lowell High School in San Francisco
- UC Berkeley. Majored in Molecular Cell Biology. Graduated with Phi Beta Kappa honors
- UC Davis School of Medicine
- Santa Clara Valley Medical Center for internal medicine intern year
- UC Davis Medical Center for Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation residency
- American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine: learned acupuncture and fundamental theories of TCM as full time student for 1 year
- Professional Clinical Training in Eclectic Triphasic Medical System with Donnie Yance (master herbalist on optimizing vitality)
- Myofascial pain management, including specialized trigger point injection training with Dr. Hal Blatman
- Scalp acupuncture, with world-renown physician Dr. Ming Qing Zhu
- Attended American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine Modules I-V.
- Module I: Advanced Endocrinology
- Module II: Treatment of Hypertension, Diabetes, Coronary Artery Disease, Metabolic Syndrome
- Module III: Gastroenterology, Neurotransmitters and Neurology
- Module IV: Nutrition and Metabolism
- Module V: Clinical Intensives
Dr. Yao continues to advance her clinical knowledge, learning latest evidence-based medicine by attending conferences and webinars.
Dr. Yao is a member of the American Holistic Medical Association.
Dr. Yao is also a frequent speaker on the topic of myofascial pain and self-management of pain. If you are interested in having Dr. Yao speak with your group, please email email@example.com.